In the garden, balsam is grown as an annual crop, and in the room it is a perennial. Growing it in an apartment sometimes causes difficulties for gardeners. The most common problem is yellowing of the leaves and their subsequent decay. To help the plant, it is necessary to determine the causes of its malaise and only then take measures.
Reasons for improper care
Indoor balsam can be attributed to plants that are capricious and demanding care. The slightest deviation from the rules can lead to a deterioration in the condition of the flower. First of all, this applies to leaves, since a change in their appearance is a signal of non-compliance with the requirements for care and maintenance.
A common problem is yellowing of leaves
Attention! If the condition is not critical, then only the lower leaves suffer, and the plant can still be helped. In other cases, often nothing can be done.
Why balsam leaves turn yellow:
- Insufficient humidity. This problem is especially acute in the winter, when batteries negatively affect the humidity level.
- Non-compliance with the irrigation schedule. Balsamine does not tolerate both waterlogging and drought. The soil should be moistened moderately and often, as it dries by 1-2 cm.
- Sun exposure. For a flower, diffused light is preferred. Exposure to direct sunlight can scorch delicate leaves, which can make them yellow and fall.
- Not sufficiently nutritious soil. A balsam transplant with a complete replacement of the soil is carried out at least 2 times a year. This is especially true with insufficient application of fertilizing.
- Wrong pot size. Too small a capacity leads to accelerated depletion of the soil and a slowdown in growth, and too large leads to stagnation of water in the soil.
- Low temperature. Under the influence of low temperatures (below +14 ° C), the leaves may turn yellow, or the flower begins to drop them.
Attention! Only strictly observing the rules for care and maintenance can achieve good growth of balsam and abundant flowering.
Without proper care, the flower grows poorly and blooms
Diseases and pests as a cause of yellowing of leaves
If a plant is provided with proper care and favorable conditions are created, but it doesn’t look anyway, a reasonable question arises as to why balsam leaves fall and their color changes. The cause may be a disease or pest damage.
Of the insects on the plant, a spider mite often appears. It is quite difficult to get rid of it, so treatment must be carried out immediately.
Falling foliage is also caused by diseases - powdery mildew and gray rot. Then, in addition to processing, a flower transplant should be carried out with a complete replacement of the soil and the pot.
How to help the plant
After determining why the balsam leaves fall off and turn yellow, the following actions can be taken:
- reduction or increase in watering;
- transplanting the plant into a pot of suitable diameter;
- maintaining optimal temperature conditions;
- humidity increase in the room;
- Providing protection from direct sunlight.
Attention! If the plant has buds, and it needs a transplant, they should be removed. This will allow the flower to direct forces to the growth of leaves and shoots.
If the cause is a disease, a strong pruning of the shoots with the removal of yellowed leaves may be necessary. If root rot is damaged during transplantation, damaged roots are removed. In addition to these measures, special preparations are necessary.
Yellowing leaves is a common problem that owners of balsam have to deal with. For its full growth requires careful observance of the rules for care and maintenance. Measures to save the plant should be taken only after the answer to the question of why the balsam leaves fall and turn yellow.